Friday, October 14, 2011

Todays thought...Great story!!!

Okay so a fabulous person I know, asked me recently what I thought about gay people. Here was my answer. "Sexual preference has never made a difference to me. It's like I told my cousin when he told me, 'If you don't care that I'm straight, then why should I care that you're not?'"

Well, that reminded me of a story. Now you need to understand, my cousin Frog and I are very close. We tell each other damn near everything and he's more of a brother to me than a cousin. Now, we race and work on cars together. We rebuilt a 1987 Pontiac Fiero from the ground up, and then we raced it. Well we now race a Miata, but that's regardless of the point. Our goal is to one day make it to Targa Newfoundland. Way up in North Canada. Yes, Targa is the ultimate goal. It's a 1 week rally race against the elements and 500+ other cars, to be the first across the finish line. You circle the island, and that's the race. We've talked a lot about this, he drives, I navigate. Now you have to understand, navigating a rally race is extremely important, because I'd be the one with the map, telling him he's got a sharp right shortly, or a sharp left coming up in half a mile, or even an S curve coming up. Have I completely lost you yet? Okay it's a huge thing to be a navigator.

So Frog sits me down and says "Okay, I have something very important to talk to you about. And I don't know how you're going to take it." So I freak. My first thought is "Oh God he doesn't want me to navigate Targa now." No, he says "I'm gay." Man, can I tell you what a relief it was! I let out this breath and was almost tearfully happy. He looked at me like I was on crack. To which I promptly replied "Oh thank gosh that's all! What a relief!" to which he gave me another odd look. So I further explain "I thought you were gonna tell me you didn't want me to be the navigator at Targa."

Now was I blind sided by the news? Yeah. I totally didn't see it coming. Did it matter? Hell no! He's my cousin and I love him. No matter what. I mean really? How can I be mad at him for liking the same thing I do? Really? Come on!

Just sayin!

No comments: