Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Really...a whole new area?

SO I'm watching The Weather Channel of all places to hear this, this morning. Now first off I can't STAND that NBC decided to put Al Roker on TWC in the mornings and try to turn it into another morning show! People didn't watch TWC to find out what the latest stock quotes were or to find out what was going on in Washington D.C. I mean COME ON! Sorry, a bit of a touchy subject with me. Anyway, getting back to point here...Apparently some city in Mexico became the first city to recognize gay marriage. My problem wasn't with the recognition, lord knows that's not even something I think about. But what did bother me was the fact that instead of calling it Mexico, we've become such a politically correct society that they said, and I quote, "the first city in Latin America." WHAT!? Did I just hear that? So no longer is it Central or South America, it's all Latin America. Wonder what the folks south of the border would think of that. WHAT IN THE HELL HAPPENED TO US?


Case in point. My best friend has a co-worker that she is close with. She is from Mexico City. And you know, when you talk to her about her origins, she talks about Mexico proudly! She embraces where she's from and with grace! Now, if she can embrace where she's from, just like EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US SHOULD, then why is it such a bad thing to say she's Mexican? I mean look at me. I live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! When I go to Mexico or Canada, I don't call myself a Northern Statesman (Or even Northern Stateswoman for that matter.) Hell no! I'm a freakin American and DAMN PROUD OF IT! Further more to embrace my own heritage, I'm also part Native American, part English and part Black Spaniard! PROUDLY! So what now!? What do you call me? A Heinz 57? A mutt? Oh no, that's not politically correct. I'm a Conglomerated American. WHATEVER! WAKE UP PEOPLE! GET A FREAKIN CLUE!

No comments: