Friday, December 09, 2011

Today's thought...Wedding Day memoirs.

I was watching a commercial for a show coming out called I DoOver. Where this woman takes weddings that have gone completely awry and redoes them for the bride and groom. And it made me laugh and think about my wedding. I'll never forget our wedding day, because the things that went wrong weren't serious, but they were all what you would call good luck if it happens...in old wives tales anyway. So, I figured I'd share my story.

First off, my husband and I had talked about getting married and how we wanted to do it way before, and I told him my dream was a little wedding, outside, on horseback. Of course, the first night we talked about it was the first time he proposed. LoL! But that's another story in and of itself. So the night before the wedding, my grandparents are here from out of state, my husband is at home in our apartment and no one is here but me. So I call my sister. She has a new cop boyfriend so I have no idea if she's going to make it or not. Well, she makes it, thanks in large part to the cop boyfriend, who is now her husband of 9 years with three amazing kids. And we have a very quiet bachelorette party which consisted of talking all night long, and dining on mac and cheese and hot dogs. (Best quiet party ever!)

The next morning, I get up and my mom and I go to a small country store, so I can get a pair of black jeans, (Yeah, got married in black jeans, purple top and black cowboy hat), she takes me to the local hobby shop so I can get some tulle for the veil (to go over the cowboy hat, which looked AMAZING by the way) and we stopped at grocery store and got our wedding cake (which TASTED just as amazing as my hat looked!). Yes, my wedding, from start to finish including license, cost $100! I'm so proud of me! And here's where it gets fun.

Brides maids start arriving, it's almost noon and the groom is not here to set up yet. He was supposed to be there by nine. Enter wives tale number one. If the groom is late, it's good luck. In the midst of all of this, I'm getting my horse ready, braiding flowers into her main and tail. Finally the husband shows up and it's time for me to get myself ready. Since he's essentially ready himself. Folks start arriving, I see him and freak out because I've seen the groom (even though that wives tale is about the groom not seeing the bride), and we get the horse saddled up and everyone gets into place.

Time for the wedding is quickly approaching and it hits me like a blow to the gut, the preacher isn't there. The preacher's late! I mean really? If the groom is late it's good luck right? So he finally shows up, half an hour late. That must mean it's REALLY good luck right? So then, everyone's there, it's time, daddy walks in the house, we walk out to the front yard and he walks me down the aisle (on horse back). The wedding gets under way. It was beautiful! It was truly amazing. Everyone was there and it went perfect. Everyone was cleared out and gone by 4:30 and then it was time for dinner. My parents took us out for celebration before we left for our honeymoon.

Enter wives tale number two. When it rains on your wedding day, it's good luck. Well let me tell you, just before we left for dinner, after everyone was gone, it came and damn down pour like you wouldn't believe, that lasted for all of fifteen minutes, and then was clear bluebird skies. So, sign from God that it was meant to last, or mere coincidence? I'll let you decide, but I'll tell you, before you decide, we've been married for almost ten years now. Just putting it out there.

No comments: