Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Todays thought...A miss my horses kind of day.

I was watching a DVD set my mom and dad got me for my birthday and it made me really miss my guys. And it's stupid things I miss. The dirty spot on my butt when I rode bareback, the smell of horse on my clothes, the dust on my face when I brushed them out, and just the oneness of riding. I know I'll eventually be at a place where I can have another horse some day, but today's one of those "I miss them now" days. And dare I admit, I even miss going out at the butt crack of dawn to feed in the freezing morning cold.

I miss their whiskers and my Walker used to be a very affectionate nuzzler. LoL! My Appaloosa, not so much. She used to like to do what I called the "Detroit Lean" when I would pick her hooves. Well, the front ones anyway. And I mean really? Have you ever had an eleven hundred pound animal lean on you? LoL! She was a funny girl. Taught me everything I knew about horses and was a great training tool. She used to snowball fight with me, and I remember one time being bareback and falling when she got spooked by a car and her stopping to make sure I was alright. Of course, I had to walk her back to the fence so I could get back on but...LoL! Then there was one time that she was saddled up and we were dead run toward the barn through the field and she stopped on a dime. Well I wasn't ready so I went end over tea kettle, over her head and flat on my back. There I am, in a mud puddle and she's standing over me snickering as if to say ha ha. Needless to say, the next time she tried to pull that, I was ready for her.

Then there was my Walker. He was the eternal protector. I could walk out into the field and there wasn't a snake or spider one that was gonna get close to me if he was around. He was a chestnut gelding and was just as sweet as they come. He loved to follow me around like a dog and sometimes, I would lay down in the middle of the field and he would stand out there beside me and guard me from whatever was out there. LoL! He was a good guard horse! Anyway, this was just a reminiscent thought process today and I thought I'd share. Until later folks!

No comments: