Monday, September 17, 2012

Today's thought....Beer with Jesus

So my husband and I are on the way home today and this song comes on the radio called Beer with Jesus. And it's a man talking about if he could have some time just to talk to Jesus, what would he ask. So after the song, the DJ asked, if you were to have a beer with Jesus, who would catch the tab? And I know he didn't mean it in a bad way, and I didn't take it in a bad way, but without thinking, my answer, out loud to my husband, was "Well me, of course!"

So then, I keep thinking. And I mean...really? Here's how it'd be. "Nah Jesus. It's good man! After all you did for me? No, I got this one. It's all good!" Then it got me to thinking, what would I ask if I had a beer with Jesus? Okay first off, it'd most definitely be a glass of wine, I'm not a beer drinker. But what if I could have a glass of wine with Jesus? How would that conversation go? Would it be a simple matter of why and how? Or would it be more involved? What if I was only allowed one question, what would that question be?

Then I knew. "Why me?" Why was I so special that he died for me? And I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not narcissistic enough to think he only did this for me, and I realize there are and have been other people before me, and others after me, but God knew there would be me. He knew there would be this soul that believed in his son. And he asked that son to make that sacrifice for me and others like me, and he did it! The next thing I'd say, (not a question), is I'm sorry.

And you question this. Why would I apologize? Because sometimes it hurts me to think about what he went through, and the pain that he suffered, all in the name of salvation. He went through hours and hours of hell, and on his death bed as a human, he asks for forgiveness for all of those around him, as well as the non believers. Could you imagine doing that? What about what God went through? He had to allow that to happen to his son, so that we could stand here today and revel in his love. I can't imagine. And I know that when we finished that glass of wine, I would hug him and just cry for a bit before saying good-bye, that I love him, and beg for another chance to do it. I know things come in their own time, and I know that one day, in heaven, me and Jesus and God are gonna be laughing it up going "Remember that one time when..."

But until that time, it never hurts to wonder what if.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I think a glass of wine would be cool.. After all his first miracle was turning water into wine.. I love your deep thoughts.. Very thought provoking...