Thursday, April 18, 2013

Today's thought...ordinary hero's.

It's thunder storming where I am. And I took a moment to go outside and just stand in the wind. (Thank you Jack Daniels for telling me to do that btw! And just to clarify, Jack Daniels is a persons nickname and not literal Jack. I don't drink hard liquor.)

Anyway, while I was out there, I closed my eyes and was actually taken back to a time, long ago, when I was 12 or 13 and times were simple. The only worries I had were what I was going to wear to school, and making sure I didn't disappoint my parents with a bad report card. Well it was summer that year, and I went to 4-H camp. Oh yeah! I was a total Ag Geek in middle school.

So anyway, one day while at camp, a big storm come up. And I mean, its summer time, storms aren't uncommon in this area. So we are all huddled in the stadium part of the camp, all huddled together. Now you have to understand, at this point of my life, I was scared to death of storms. I mean shake me out of my boots, giving myself a panic attack every time I saw a rain drop, scared of storms.

So we huddle in this corner, and I'm crying and freaking out and this woman, who is running the thing I guess, or at least my group anyway, sits there huddled with all of us and gets us through the storm safely.

Well later that night, after the storms had passed, I remember being in bed, and that woman (who the only thing I can remember is she had red hair), sat there beside me and told me she would hold my hand until I went to sleep, because I was scared seeing the lightening out the window, even though the storm had long since passed.

That woman (I can't even remember her name now), was my hero for the hour. She stayed there and kept me safe from the thunder storms. I would hug her, to this day, and say thanks, if I could remember who she was. Simpler times.

Simpler times.

No comments: