Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Todays thought...Kinda a funny. Stories from behind the counter.

I used to work at the Waffle House. One of my MANY...many jobs in my past. And let me tell you, I have LOTS of stories. But I wanted to share a few tonight, to make those smile, if you should so need it. These, are a few of those stories.

Story 1 - Picture if you will, a warm sunny day (Actually it's been a while ago, so I don't remember if it was warm or not), and a man with a rough look and in a three piece suit walks in, sits at the high-bar and grumbles, "Coffee." Not entirely sure what on Earth possesses me to do it, I have no clue, but without missing a beat, I look right in his eyes and I say "Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor! Not a waitress! Get your own damn coffee!" Stunned, he sat there for a second and a huge smile crossed his face and he told me that he'd just had a really bad day, and my playing, had just made his whole day. He left me a $30 tip for a cup of coffee.

Story 2 - Picture again, a dark and stormy night (No, it was just dark, it was like eleven at night) a family walks in and sits at the high bar. There's six seats at the bar and the husband, wife and children take up all six seats. All in a good spirits but clearly tired from a long journey, they give their order, I put their food down in front of them, and while I have down time I proceed to do the dishes in the sink. Now, there was this spray nozzle, that was just to the left of a pressure washer, that worked REALLY EFFICIENTLY at pre-washing the dishes before sticking them in the dish machine/sanitizer. Not paying whole hearted attention to what I was doing as there was a lot of stuff going on that night, I proceed to spray out a bowl. And it was a little bowl, of which I'm not realizing at first that as I spray, the water is merely being diverted. Where you might ask? Yes, over the counter and onto this extremely tired father. Standing there with my mouth open, realizing that I was spraying water (Which thankfully I realized extremely quickly), I let go of the pressure washer and trying with difficulty not to laugh while scared to death this guy was gonna yell, I said "Free shower with every meal?" The whole lot of them started laughing, dad included, and continued eating as I fixed them more food and didn't charge them for their meal. He also (coincidentally) left me a $30 tip.

Story 3 - Man walks into the store. I'm working second shift and it's DEAD. No one in the store but me and the cook who is prepping in the back room for third. He pulls up in a Lincoln Navigator, three piece suit, the whole shebang. He walks in and heads straight for the bathroom. Now, it's not uncommon for someone to come in, JUST to use the bathroom. No big deal, happens all the time. But that day I was in rare form and for whatever reason, I yelled "Hey!" Turning around he makes eye contact and I go "Are you fixin to just use the bathroom?" Not sure how to answer he says yes. I proceed with "There's a five dollar fee for using the bathroom without making a purchase." He stared at me for a minute, realized I wasn't serious, smiled, and made his way to the bathrooms. I'll be damn if that man didn't walk back out, slap a $5 on the counter and say "For the bathroom" before walking out. It was so funny.

These are the things I'll never forget about "The Awful Waffle" and things that I would never give up either. Those were fun times, and bad times and all of them helped make me who I am. These I shared are definitely funnies. More are sure to come! :)

No comments: