Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today's thought...Proud to be a Geek!

Okay so on the way to visit the fam last weekend Frog and I get into a big discussion about Linux, the programs and the new roll outs. Now I'm still learning Linux and all of the outs and ins. Using terminal is no longer scary to me and just relying specifically on Linux isn't scaring me either. SO we get to talking about previous versions of Ubuntu. Apparently, they distribute twice a year. Once in April and once in October. And in every distro, they have an upgraded version of Ubuntu. So like in April of '08 Ubuntu Version 8.04 rolled out, October of '08 Version 8.10 rolled out and so on and so forth. Well there's been a lot of buzz around about the 10.10 roll out, which is coming out 10/10/10!

So we're all excited about the roll out and talking about it and it hits me suddenly that if 10.10 is coming out in October, then in April of next year, 11.04 rolls out! So then I talk to him about being all excited about it and he stops and tells me that he's so proud, because I'm excited about a distribution of a Ubuntu Version that is still 7 months in the making and 2 distributions away! He laughed and said that I was a true geek and he loved it.

So the other night, Frog's at the house and him and I are talking about Pidgin. It's a chat manager in Linux that allows you to have Myspace, Facebook, Yahoo, Hotmail...I mean the list goes on and on, and it allows you to have all of them in one program, designed specifically for Linux (Even though, yes, they do have a version for Windows too now). So we're talking about a feature in Pidgin that isn't available in any of the Windows messengers and my roomie is in the room. And he just gives me the strangest look, and I tell him that it's a Pidgin thing, he wouldn't understand and that it's only for us geeks.

Well that started a whole conversation as to who fit into the definition of geeks. Like me and Frog, we're what you'd call Linux geeks. Mr2 is a Windows geek. Oh yeah, you non-geeks may not realize it, but there is a hierarchy in the geek world! I have to say, in my opinion, no offense to my roomie, Linux geeks are geekier than Windows geeks. I mean, look at the diff in that right there. How many folks even know WHAT Linux is, much less uses it or has it on their computers? Ya know? I'm just sayin.

Thats like the convo we were having about Windows v/s Linux on my dual boot computer. I HATE Windows. Hate it! The only reason it is still on my computer is because there are still a couple of programs that they haven't completely integrated into Linux yet. Like iTunes. So then the other day, Frog and I are on the phone talking about using a diff program in Linux that I can hook my iPod to and get music moved around and such. So Mr2 says "Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute! Not only do you want to work around windows, but you want to work around iTunes too?" to which I proudly reply, "If I could work around iTunes, I'd drop the windows side all together!" LoL! He just shook his head.

That being said, the cuz is going to help me work my iPod in my Linux with a program called Rhythmbox, and if we get that going good, when 10.10 rolls out, it's Bye-Bye Windows...PERMANENTLY! LoL! Time will tell! So, you tell me folks, am I a geek or what? Why yes! Yes I am! And I wear that label proudly!

1 comment:

narkedfrog77 said...

Thats my geek, errrr cuz, errrr geeky cuz. And yes there is a hierarchy of geeks. Windows geeks can only do what windows says it can do. Linux geeks can do what they want to do, and sometimes do it just because someone says it can't be done. Linux helps to support those that want to create and learn. I Linux programmer will sit around for hours, opening and modifying the source code so that the program does what the Linux operator wants it to do.

Windows 7, that OS is going in the right direction as far as looks and feel, but no window OS can touch the freedom of Linux.

Peace from the frog