Sunday, August 14, 2011

Well, today was race day. So much fun! The cousin and I are racing a Mazda Miata now. Well when we got our work order today we were working the track first, running our first heat second. Well this is only the second time running the Miata so I mean...he just bought it. It's a 1990 and in great shape. But, it's not without it's own issues. Like the tires need to be replaced, he just replaced the rack and pinion and we need to redo the shocks. Plus whatever we don't know. Which is what happened today.

Here I am, running my third and final run of my first heat and something pops. Suddenly I have a whole butt load of horse power! Something tinks and it sounds like bolts and screws are banging around the engine compartment. Wasn't a damn thing I could do about it so I said forget it and kept running. Coincidentally, my fastest lap time, taking out 1 cone and pulling into home. The cuz sees something hanging. So I pull in, we pop the hood and what's hanging?

None other than the Water Pump Timing Belt. Oh yeah. Fun stuff there. NOT! It couldn't be the power steering/air conditioner belt, no no no. It has to be the water pump/alternator belt, that has to be replaced. And it's Sunday and we are out in the parking lot of a race track that is miles away from anywhere close. Thankfully I knew some peoples that lived close and I was able to have one of them bring me a belt, then to fix.

Well needless to say, after missing our second heat of the day, and me missing my second track assignment, borrowing a hydraulic jack from the regional ... overseer I guess you could call him ... taking a whole bunch of parts off, putting the belt on and putting everything back together, we finally headed home. Man what a day! So much fun!!! :)

No comments: