Sunday, May 23, 2004

Todays thought...The cell dogs program

If you are not aware of it let me just tell you, there is a program out there about cell dogs. It is a show on Animal Planet and it is about jails and prisons that use the inmates to train dogs. Hence the name of the show "Cell Dogs".

It is an extremely educational show. I love the thought of it and it makes me feel good to know that we are about to have this program in our area soon. I will not disclose my exact area as I am not sure that this is exactly public information yet...though I do know that it is not exactly privelaged either. The county/city will take abandoned and abused dogs and use them for the cell dogs program.

In the program these dogs are trained to be adopted out by the inmates. They are trained basic obedience as well as temperment tested and loved by these hard core inmates. For whatever reason they are in there, it kinda makes ya feel good to know that they are almost getting a second chance to build a relationship with someone other than another inmate.

In closing today I will just go ahead and quote my mama on this. If you watch the show, you should notice, that the dogs come in all shapes, sizes, colors and situations...As do all of the inmates that assist them. Maybe we can all learn something from this program.

No comments: