Monday, March 08, 2004

Todays thought...Finding Family

My mama has been on a very strong search for her sister whom I am going to call (Oklahoma from now on). All my mama has known for so many years is that Oklahoma had left when my mama was 12, and she had never seen her again. Many nights I can remember, my mama and I cried. I tried to console her as the questions of whether or not Oklahoma was dead or alive or where and how she was plagued her mind.

When I was old enough to help, I attempted in assisting with my mama's search to find Oklahoma. I called Maury Povich, Oprah, Montel Williams, Big Hugs, US Search and just about everything short of calling Unsolved Mysteries and hiring a private investigator.

With every type of utilities though we kept hitting the same brick wall. No Social Security Number.

Alas ... the break we were needing. My mama actually came across Oklahoma's social. Long story short, we were able to use the information to find Oklahoma. Having the information then opened a ton of new questions. "Did Oklahoma want to be found - Would she even talk to my mama if we called or hang up - If she had an e-mail and she opened it, would she delete it - If my mama sent a letter, would she keep it and call or throw it away." So many questions. How to procede.

Looking this Sunday March 7th 2004 on the internet to see if Oklahoma had an e-mail I set my mama down and told her, "This is your break. This is what you have been waiting for ever since I can remember. Just bite the bullit and call her." Of course (You know I love you mama) but she was chicken. Then I told her "So, I'll call her and get the foot in the door. What's the worst that can happen? ... She'll hang up. Atleast then you know she's alive." She looked at me with a scared to death perplexed "Shoud I do it or nor" look. She took a deep breath and said "Go get your dad's calling card."

I ran out side and got the card and came back in. I was scared to death. I was so nervouse to the thought of talking to a practical legend in my mama's eyes that she had not seen in 35 years. My heart was pounding so fast and I was shaking so bad I could hardly dial her number.

The phone rang once ... twice ... and once more before a machine picked up that said the called party has a system that allows them to be on the internet and the phone at the same time ... please stand by as your call is connected. I came so close to hanging up the phone. The phone rang again ... twice ... and it picked up. A younger woman answered the phone. It was Oklahoma's daughter-in-law. I asked for Oklahoma. She asked who I was. I told her my name and she asked what I was selling. It did not dawn on me at that point that I was using the calling card and it was coming up with a city and state and number that was not ours. I told her at that point that I was not selling anything actually and that I thought I was Oklahoma's neice.

I heard the conversation between the two of them when she took Oklahoma the phone. She told Oklahoma that her neice was on the phone. "My neice!?" I heard her say "I don't have a neice!". She answered the phone and I asked for her by name. I told her who I was and the instant the words "I think I am your neice" came out of my mouth, and my mama realized that I was actually talking to Oklahoma ... Something she had been longing for for years ... she started to cry. There was an almost awkward silence on the other line and I proceded to tell Oklahoma who I was, and who my mama was.

Scared to death of whether or not she would be estatic that I was calling, or upset, I prepared myself for the worst. To my benefit ... she was estatic. She was so happy. I heard her say to her daughter-in-law "MY SISTER ... SHE HAS A DAUGHTER ... I'M TALKING TO MY SISTERS DAUGHTER!!" Just between ya'll and me, I would not have traded that moment for anything in the world. She asked me "Well baby, where are you at?" I told her where I was and told her that I was at my mama's house and that she had been wanting to talk to her for a long time. I was so releived whe she asked "Well, where is she? Can I talk to her?" I put her on the phone with my mama and they talked for about an hour. Talking about how life had treated them, marriages, children, family and so on.

I told my mama last night ... Next on the agenda ... Family reunion.

Todays thought goes out to my mama and Oklahoma. Mama I love you dearly and would go to the ends of the earth with you. Your my heart and just remember, if ever you feel chicken, just give me a call. I got enough brass for the both of us. To Oklahoma, I'm so happy we found you. You will never know the joy that just knowing that you are ok has brought into mine and my mama's hearts. If you ever get a mass e-mail some day from someone who is looking for their long lost aunt who was last known to be in West Virginia, just delete it. I already found you. I can not wait to meet you and your beautiful family and cannot wait for you to meet my mama's family. I await that day and until then ... just know that my mama would have NEVER stopped looking and I would have been there, right by her side until you were found.

No comments: